March 2, 2011

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

I LOVE baked goods.  Bread, cookies, cake...if you can bake it, I want to eat it.  Pies, cheesecake, biscuits...you get the idea.  This is problematic since I lost 44 pounds last year and hope to keep it off and maybe lose a little more this year.  So, I was on a quest to make a cookie that wouldn't kill me with calories.  So after looking into and baking many different lower calorie cookies, I have compiled those recipes and tweaked them and added ingredients and subtracted ingredients...then I finally came up with a cookie that was healthier and tastes great!  I have decided to share it with you all since there are so many cookies out there that should NEVER be made...EVER AGAIN!


My lovely cookies, shown above with their secret ingredient.  I love apples and after you try this recipe you will love them even more.  Not the prettiest cookie out there, but moist, delicious and my kids devour them.  Also, no guilt when I give them (or myself) these cookies for breakfast.

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 stick unsalted butter (softened)
1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
2 eggs
1 medium to large apple grated
2 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not the quick oats)
1/4 cup chocolate chips or walnuts (I do one or the other, usually not both)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Mash together butter, eggs, brown sugar and grated apple until mixed very well.  Then add dry ingredients and mix.  Add chocolate chips or  nuts last.  (If a little dry, add 1 tbsp of water)  Oh and mixing together works best by hand. 

Roll into 1 - 1 1/2 inch balls and press down into a more flat shape.  Bake at 350 for approximately 10 minutes.  Let stand on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool.  They will be VERY soft until they cool.

Try not to eat the whole batch.

This is an original recipe by me, if you pass this on, please link back directly to me and give me credit.  I would appreciate that...because I am proud of this recipe!

1 comment:

  1. I am a new reader. I stumbled upon you through a series of blogs I was popping though. Believe it all started on the Ana White site. Anyway I love baking and can't wait to try these. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...